Tuesday, August 6, 2013

10 Places In Houston It's OK To Eat At Alone and In Your PJs.

Let's be honest, there are only a few places that I WON'T go in my pajamas. And I'm not just talking about eateries - the grocery store, the museum, the movies. The only place I never wear my pajamas to is class, because that is so overdone and expected. Whether it's a confidence in myself or a confidence in my Hello Kitty pajama bottoms, it's hard to say. But I've noticed a few strange looks as I wonder through displays at the Museum of Natural Science in my pink plaid pajama bottoms and my World's Only Corn Palace sweatshirt. I think this needs to change. People, you should be free to be who you are, no matter what the venue! But I know that not everyone as uninhibited as I am. I am almost positive that my mother's greatest regret was allowing young Catherine to pick out her own clothes in kindergarten - I've felt the same freedom to match my socks to my turtleneck my whole life. You were not cultivated by the same individuality, and so I'm providing for you here ten places where you can go on practice runs in your PJs and not get any strange looks.

1. Pink's Pizza
Pink's Pizza is all about the punk rock lifestyle. What is the punk rock lifestyle, you ask? Punk rock is not caring what punk rock means. Punk rock is giving yourself the freedom to define punk rock for yourself, outside the constraints of what society expects punk rock to mean. Not to mention, being a mostly pickup/delivery place, there are hardly ever customers actually inside the restaurant, and if you want to stop in for a slice I guarantee the employees are going to be so wrapped up in their own punk rock lifestyles to notice if you are even wearing pants, let alone whether or not they are from the same Betty Boop set that your  mother bought you for your high school graduation.

2. Torchy's Tacos
Torchy's also lives the punk rock lifestyle, but your sense of anonymity here comes from the fact that no matter what, there are always at least five dozen other people trying to get a taco as well and nobody cares what you're wearing, they just want you to not be in line in front of them. Walking out to your car in the parking lot? There will be no dirty looks from drivers that you didn't bother to shower and impress them; instead, the dirty looks will be that you are not hurrying out of your spot so that they might take it.

3. Whataburger
This is definitely a good place for novices to try out wearing pajamas in public. The Walmart of fast food, the general audience of this fine establishment has generally had to make so much of an effort to even get out of bed that day that any clothing at all seems like a huge bonus. If you've had a hard night of drinking and don't think you'll be able to face the day without an HBCB, don't even try. Find someone else to drive you there, and worry about the logistics of clothing later on.

4. Bernie's Burger Bus
The best thing about Bernie's Burger Bus is that most of the year, they have a bus parked out in front of University of Houston's UC for lunch. If you don't feel like getting dressed in the morning, never fear - just head over to a place where nobody every feels like getting dressed - a college campus. You'll fit right in, I guarantee it. (Incidentally, if you wear real clothes and work in an office and are interested in having a catered visit from Bernie's, feel free to hit up at my new email address, catherine.berniesburgerbus@gmail.com)

5. Buffalo Wild Wings
This is mostly only OK if you go right when they open. I'm speaking from experience on this one guys, having worn pajamas to Buffalo Wild Wings at all different sorts of times on all different sorts of days. This is a sports bar, and people are going to look at you funny if instead of paying attention to the games they are forced to be distracted by your loud, obnoxiously colored pants. In the morning, however, you're more likely to get sympathy from a waitstaff who also wishes they were in their pjs but are, in fact, at Buffalo Wild Wings instead.

6. Prince's Hamburgers
One time I went to Prince's Hamburgers and I asked for the Prince's Original and the girl at the counter replied "The one with the sauce?" as if there was another. These people are far too adorable to care what you are wearing.

7. Moon Tower Inn
Wearing your pajamas to the Moon Tower might actually be better for your rep than not, because people will just assume that you're a hipster making commentary about societal expectations rather than just a really lazy person who had a tough enough time making the decision of whether or not to brush their teeth, let alone what to wear. Order a beer off the menu that nobody has ever heard of, and you'll fit right in with the crowd. (Note: I'd recommend wearing long pajama bottoms here rather than short ones, as there is a risk of splintering on the benches if there is too much exposed skin. You're welcome.)

8. Spanish Flower
Like Buffalo Wild Wings, there are only certain times of the day that you can go to Spanish Flower in your pjs. Part of the day, it's a highly respectable joint that I went to for my graduation dinner and Lady Gaga, in fact, frequents. (If by frequents you of course mean "went to one time and then probably never again") Anytime after about ten pm though you're fine, and that goes until that awkward part of the night when people with real jobs are going out for breakfast and people without real jobs are coming back in from the night. (I'm writing about this time of the night like I know something about it, but I went to bed at 11:30 last night because I was really tired.)

9. Jerry Built
These people have a hand washing station inside their restaurant, guys. These are the craziest dude and dudettes you'll ever meet! One time I went in and the lady handed me some dice and we each rolled and I got a higher number than her and she gave me my food for free! I kid you not! The people who work at Jerry Built are the type that snort cocaine out of the open mouth of a live alligator, and then punch a Grizzly bear for looking at them funny. These people do not mess around, guys. Wearing your pajamas to Jerry Built? Please. They've been wearing their pajamas in public since they were in their mother's uterus.

10. Dot's Diner
Diners are always OK to wear your pajamas to, with one ironclad exception that even I don't break. DO NOT, under any circumstances, wear your pajamas to a diner on a Sunday morning or a Sunday afternoon! That is when diners do not belong to you; they belong to the severest of the church going crowd, and let me tell you, those people are not interested in seeing your brand new green striped pajama bottoms and in fact would much rather you were repenting the sin of wearing them from your home at that very moment.

9.

1 comment:

  1. The Torchy's Taco description is the most accurate account of the atmosphere of an establishment that I have ever read.

    ReplyDelete